
Having applied to become a Games Maker – one of the 70,000 volunteers who will make the London 2012 games happen - I attended my first interview at Warwick University on Sunday 10th July.
The whole process took around an hour and a half including registration and security briefings. In a group of 30 we watched videos from the key sponsors talking about what they are looking for in every Games Maker: their skills, their personality and their passion for the Games. We each then had a one-to-one competency-based interview.
I was volunteering to be in the Events Services team. My interview went well and as a result I volunteered to be a team leader at one of the athletics venues spread across London. The role involves welcoming visitors into all the Olympic and Paralympic venues offering assistance. There’ll be highs and lows as while we will get to meet and help people from all around the world and add to their experience of the Games, we’ll also be working long days and won’t get to see the field of play.
Games Makers need to have excellent communication skills, a can-do attitude and be firm and assertive when necessary. Responsibilities and tasks will include providing leadership and support to Event Services team members, making sure team members are in the right positions and helping team members give excellent customer service to spectators and other visitors.
These are skills I use in my day to day role at The Phoenix Partners so I have every confidence that I can make a real contribution as well as enjoy the experience.
I left feeling really motivated and excited about London 2012. Unfortunately it’s a long wait now – we hear via email in late 2011 – so it’s fingers crossed until then!
Jo Fahey - Sales Manager
t: 01509 815026
e: joanne@thephoenixpartners.com
No comments:
Post a Comment