Tuesday, 12 July 2011

The big event!


Creating events, running events and travelling the world in the process? The life of an event organiser isn’t for everyone but it certainly is for Rachel Hargrave, our MD here at The Phoenix Partners! Here are some of her highlights to date.

My first event: A conference for Goldsmiths at The Forest of Arden – 18 years ago – always exciting, if you’ve never done an event before to see how a show comes together.

The event I am most proud of: Honda’s 50th birthday celebration at ICC Birmingham – because the director turned the story of Honda’s 50 years into a musical which turned out to be phenomenal. We were also able to wow the audience with some new technology at the time, wireless headphones and everyone in the audience had a set to listen through. But the thing I remember most was how silent and spooky it was in the ICC during the performance. We had amazing feedback with some people saying how it had changed their life!

My most disastrous event: Probably the occasion when we did an event where the singer ‘lost her voice’ during the after dinner performance. Although I was tempted to give it a go on the mic, we thought it was best to quickly identify a replacement and thankfully the audience was understanding and supportive!

My fantasy event: It would be an incentive conference event to Argentina. It’s such a vast country and it’s certainly a region I would love to explore after my walk up Kilimanjaro in September. If we could appoint Sir Ranulph Fiennes or Ray Mears along the way, even better!

An event I wish I could have attended: The event which incorporated the launch of the Bentley Continental at the Geneva motor show. Just simply, I wish I’d been there!

To plan your next event through Rachel give her a call on 01509 815026.

Adapted from a piece for M&IT Magazine, July issue.

No comments: