Wednesday, 25 May 2011

Rachel's determination on Mount Toubkal



Rachel is back from her trek of Mount Toubkal in Morocco and we’re amazed by the experience she’s had! She spent five days surrounded by beautiful Moroccan scenery and battling nature’s elements, at times using crampons and an ice axe.

It was a real journey in terms of mental strength and overcoming adversity, because unfortunately Rachel experienced altitude sickness for the first time.

Rachel said: “The group quickly progressed from sea level to 4167m above and unfortunately the speed of ascent meant that I got altitude sickness. Fortunately I recognised the symptoms as I’d seen friends get it on my Everest base camp trip.”

“The views were stunning and I got within a few hundred metres of the summit – but it wasn’t about reaching that point in the end. I was at the stage where I was crawling on my hands and knees and I realised that the sensible thing was not to ascend any higher.”

“I now know what more I need to do for my Kilimanjaro trek in September. It’s got me more focused and more determined to do it. I felt strong all the way through the walk, but once you have altitude sickness, there is very little you can do than descend. The weather started to change on the mountain too and it becomes a very lonely place to be.”

When asked what her best piece of equipment was, she said: “My sleeping bag –I slept like a log every night and got more sleep than most people, I am fortunate in that I can sleep anywhere and it’s a great help with altitude sickness!”

Roll on Kilimanjaro in September.

If you would like to support Rachel in her Kilimanjaro quest and help Leicester Charity Link, please go to www.justgiving.com/Rachel-Hargrave or for more information about Leicester Charity Link please call 0116 222 2200 or visit www.charity-link.org.

No comments: